Passive optical network (PON) is a pure medium network, which avoids the electromagnetic interference and lightning impact of external equipment, reduces the failure rate of lines and external equipment, improves the reliability of the system, and saves maintenance costs. PON is a long-term technology expected by telecommunications maintenance department. The advantages of passive optical access network are embodied in the following aspects:
(1) The passive optical network is small in size, simple in equipment, low in installation and maintenance costs, and relatively small in investment.
(2) Passive optical devices are flexible in networking, and can support tree, star, bus, hybrid and redundant network topologies.
(3) Installation is convenient. It has indoor and outdoor models. Its outdoor shape can be directly hung on the wall, or placed on the "H" pole, without renting or building a computer room. The active system needs photoelectric and electro-optical conversion, and the cost of equipment manufacturing is high. To use special venues and rooms, the remote power supply problem is difficult to solve, and the daily maintenance workload is large .
(4) Passive optical networks are suitable for point-to-multipoint communication, and only passive splitters are used to distribute optical power.
(5) Passive optical network is a pure medium network, which completely avoids electromagnetic interference and lightning, and is very suitable for use in areas with harsh natural conditions.
(6) From the point of view of technology development, the expansion of passive optical network is relatively simple, does not involve equipment transformation, only needs equipment software upgrade, hardware equipment purchase once, long-term use, which lays the foundation for optical fiber household, and guarantees user investment.