Hardware devices connected to two or more networks act as gateways between networks, reading addresses in each packet and then deciding how to transmit dedicated intelligent network devices.
(Classification of routers)
1. Broadband: Broadband router is a new network product in recent years. It comes into being with the popularization and application of broadband. Broadband router integrates the functions of router, firewall, bandwidth control and management in a compact box. It has the characteristics of fast forwarding, flexible network management and rich network state. It can satisfy different network traffic environments, and has good grid adaptability and network compatibility.
2. Modularization: Modularized router mainly refers to the router whose interface type and some extended functions can be configured according to the actual needs of users. These routers generally only provide the most basic routing functions when they leave the factory. Users can choose the corresponding modules according to the network type they want to connect to. Modules can provide different connection and management functions.
3. Non-modular: Non-modular routers are low-end routers. It not only provides SLIP or PPP connections, but also supports virtual private network protocols such as PPTP and IPSec. These protocols should be able to run on each port.
4. Virtual: Virtual routers seek truth from reality. It paves the way for the realization of new Internet services in the future. It makes some new Internet services possible.
5. Core: Core routers, also known as "backbone routers", are routers located in the network center. A router located on the edge of a network is called an access router. Core routers and edge routers are relative concepts. They all belong to routers, but they have different sizes and capacities. The core router in one layer is the edge router in another layer.
6. Wireless: Wireless router is a router with wireless coverage function. It is mainly used for users'access to the Internet and wireless coverage. In addition, it also has some other network management functions, such as DHCP service, NAT firewall, MAC address filtering and so on.